John Byrne, Director 1972 - 1977
Dr. John Byrne received his Bachelors in 1951 from Hamilton College, his Masters in 1953 from Columbia College, and then his Ph.D. in 1957 from the University of Southern California. He then served as an Assistant Professor of Marine Geology at Oregon State University, and in 1968, he was appointed Chairman of the Oceanography Department at OSU. Prior to becoming the Director of the Marine Science Center, Dr. Byrne served as a member on numerous scientific societies, was the program director for physical oceanography with the National Science Foundation, and was a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. He became the Director in 1972 at the same time as when he became the Dean of the School of Oceanography at Oregon State University. The Marine Science Center saw the addition of student housing to the campus under the leadership of John Byrne, and there was significant expansion in the science center’s public education endeavors. He went on to be the NOAA Administrator (1981-1984) and eventually became Oregon State University's 12th President (1984-1996).
Photos courtesy of OSU Libraries See more here about Dr. Byrne's time as OSU President.