The Hatfield Marine Science Center has more than 45 years of accomplishment in research, education, and outreach. Originally established as a marine laboratory for Oregon State University, it has grown to encompass a large group of partners on its 49 acre site on Yaquina Bay in Newport, Oregon. Within OSU, HMSC includes researchers, students, or faculty from five colleges. It serves as home to several University programs, including the Coastal Oregon Marine Experiment Station, the Cooperative Institute for Marine Resources Studies, and the Marine Mammal Institute. It also includes important components of the Oregon Sea Grant program and the Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center. Our onsite partners include eight state and federal agency activities involved in research and management of the marine environment, and our cooperation includes faculty appointments for agency staff as well as opportunities for students to work with agency scientists. We work closely with local coastal communities, including the fishing industry. HMSC's Visitor Center is a key site for public education.
The dynamic nature of HMSC's programs is reflected in our mission statement:
The Hatfield Marine Science Center is Oregon State University's campus for research, education, and outreach in marine and coastal sciences. Through its partnerships, HMSC improves scientific understanding of marine systems, coastal processes and resources, and applies this knowledge to social, economic, and environmental issues.
The HMSC brings OSU's diverse marine science programs together for effective collaboration and higher national and international visibility. The Center plays an integral role in marine and estuarine research and instruction, as a unique laboratory facility serving resident scientists and graduate students, and as a base for oceanographic research. With a combined budget in excess of $45M, the HMSC also plays an important economic role on the Oregon Coast.
I hope that you will find this web site a useful guide to the activities of the Center, and feel free to contact us if we can provide further information.
- Annual Reports:
- Annual Report 11-12 (2.0 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 10-11 (1.7 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 09-10 (3.0 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 08-09 (3.4 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 07-08 (2.1 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 06-07 (4.9 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 05-06 (1.9 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 04-05 (2.6 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
- Annual Report 03-04 (5.7 Mb, requires Acrobat reader)
Co-located Agencies at HMSC
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Oregon Department of Fisheries and Wildlife (ODFW)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)