- Foraging & Reproductive Ecology
- Predator-Prey Dynamics
- Renewable Energy
- Spatial Ecology
- In The News
Title Research Associate
Oregon State University
Hatfield Marine Science Center
2030 SE Marine Science Dr.
Newport, Oregon 97365
Ph.D. – Ocean Sciences, University of California Santa Cruz, 2014
B.S. – Biological Sciences, Cornell University, 2002
Marine predator foraging ecology, species–habitat relationships, food web dynamics, marine spatial planning
18. Baylis, AMM, RA Orben, DP Costa, M Tierney, P Brickle, I Staniland. (2017) Habitat use and spatial fidelity of male South American sea lions during the non-breeding period. Ecology and Evolution, in press
17. Young, RC, R.A. Orben, A Will, A.S. Kitaysky. (2017) Seasonal connectivity in movement, behavior, and telomeres in a long-lived seabird. Marine Ecology Progress Series, doi.org/10.3354/meps12022.
16. Torres, LG, RA Orben, I Tolkova, DR Thompson. (2017) Animal movement analysis through residence in space and time. PLoS ONE 12(1): e0168513. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0168513
15. Baylis AMM, GJ Kowalski, CC Voigt, RA Orben, F Trillmich, IJ Staniland, JI Hoffman. (2016) Pup Vibrissae Stable Isotopes Reveal Geographic Differences in Adult Female Southern Sea Lion Habitat Use during Gestation. PLoS ONE, 11(6): e0157394. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0157394.
14. Hückstädt, LA, MS Tift, F Riet-Sapriza, V Franco-Trecu, AMM Baylis, RA Orben, JPY Arnould, M Sepulveda, M Santos, JM Burns, DP Costa. (2016) Regional variability in diving physiology and behavior in a widely distributed air -breathing marine predator, the South American sea lion Otaria byronia. Journal of Experimental Biology. doi: 10.1242/jeb.138677
13. Baylis, AMM, RA Orben, DP Costa, JPY Arnould, IJ Staniland. (2016) Sexual segregation in habitat use is smaller than expected in a highly dimorphic marine predator, the southern sea lion. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 554:201-211.
12. Humphries, GRW, SA Flemming, AJ Gladics, S Hammer, K Hart, K Hirata, MA Antolos, PJ Kappes, E Magnusdottir, Hl Major, F Mcduie, K Mcomber, RA Orben, MS Schmid, M Wille. (2016) Bridging the gap from student to senior scientist: Recommendations for engaging early career scientists in professional biological societies. Marine Ornithology 44:157-166.
11. Baylis AMM, RA Orben RA, JPY Arnould, K Peters, T Knox, DP Costa, IJ Staniland. (2015) Diving deeper into individual foraging specialization of a large marine predator. Oecologia. 179(4): 1053-1065
10. Orben, RA, R Paredes,DD Roby, DB Irons, SA Shaffer. (2015) Body size affects individual winter foraging strategies of thick-billed murres (Uria lomvia) in the Bering Sea. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84(6): 1589-1599.
9. Paredes, R, RA Orben, DD Roby, DB Irons, R Young, H Renner, Y Tremblay, A Will, AMA Harding, A Kitaysky. (2015) Foraging ecology during nesting influences body size in a pursuit-diving seabird. Marine Ecological Progress Series, 533:261-276.
8. Orben, RA, R Paredes, DD Roby, DB Irons, SA Shaffer. (2015) Wintering North Pacific black-legged kittiwakes balance spatial flexibility and consistency. Movement Ecology, 3(36).
7. Baylis AMM, RA Orben, JPY Arnould, GC Hays, IJ Staniland. (2015) Disentangling the cause of a catastrophic population decline in a large marine mammal. Ecology, 96(10):2834-2847.
6. Orben RA, DB Irons, R Paredes, DD Roby, RA Phillips, SA Shaffer (2015) North or south? Niche separation of endemic red-legged kittiwakes and sympatric black-legged kittiwakes during their non-breeding migrations. Journal of Biogeography 42:401–412.
5. Baylis AMM, RA Orben, P Pistorius, P Brickle, IJ Staniland, N Ratcliffe (2015) Winter foraging site fidelity of king penguins breeding at the Falkland Islands. Marine Biology 162:99–110.
4. Paredes, R, RA Orben, RM Suryan, DB Irons, DD Roby, AMA Harding, RC Young, K Benoit-Bird, C Ladd, H Renner, S Heppell, RA Phillips, A Kitaysky. (2014) Foraging responses of black-legged kittiwakes to prolonged food shortages around colonies on the Bering Sea Shelf. PLoS ONE 9(3): e92520.
3. Young, RC, AS Kitaysky, MF Haussmann, S Descamps, RA Orben, KH Elliott, AJ Gaston. (2013) Age, sex, and telomere dynamics in a long-lived seabird with male-biased parental care. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74931.
2. Harding AMA, R Parades, R Suryan, D Roby, D Irons, RA Orben, H Renner, R Young, C Barger, I Dorresteijn, & A Kitaysky. (2013) Does location really matter? An inter-colony comparison of seabirds breeding at varying distances from productive oceanographic features in the Bering Sea. Deep-Sea Research Part II, 178-191.
1. Paredes, R, AMA Harding, DD Roby, DB Irons, RM Suryan, RA Orben, H Renner, A Kitaysky. (2012) Proximity to multiple oceanographic habitats influences breeding seabirds’ resilience to poor local food availability. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 471:253-269.