- Foraging & Reproductive Ecology
- Predator-Prey Dynamics
- Renewable Energy
- Spatial Ecology
- In The News
Henkel, S.K., R.M. Suryan, B.A. Largerquist. 2014. Marine renewable energy and environmental interactions: baseline assessments of seabirds, marine mammals, sea turtles, and benthic communities on the Oregon shelf. In Marine Renewable Energy and Society. Ed. by M. A. Shields. Springer, Dordrecht.
Jodice, P.G.R. and R.M. Suryan. 2010. The transboundary nature of seabird ecology. In S.C. Trombulak and R.F. Baldwin (eds.), Landscape-scale Conservation Planning, DOI 10.1007/978-90-481-9575-6_8, Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
Suryan, R.M., R. Albertani, B. Polagye. 2016. A synchronized sensor array for remote monitoring of avian and bat interactions with offshore renewable energy facilities. Final report to the Department of Energy for project DOE_EE0005363
Watanuki, Y., R. Suryan, H. Sasaki, T. Yamamoto, E. Hazen, M. Renner, J.A. Santora, W.J. Sydeman, 2015. Spatial ecology of marine top predators in the North Pacific: Tools for integrating across datasets and identifying high use areas. Report of the Marine Birds and Mammals Advisory Panel to the North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES).
Suryan, R.M., K.J. So, E.M. Phillips, J.E. Zamon, R.W. Lowe, S.W. Stephensen. 2012. Seabird colony and at-sea distribution along the Oregon coast: Implications for offshore energy facility placement and information gap analysis. Report to the Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center, Oregon State University.
Young, L.C., R.M. Suryan, D.C. Duffy, W.J. Sydeman. 2012. Climate change and seabirds of the California Current and Pacific Islands ecosystems: Observed and potential impacts and management implications. Final report to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon.
47. McClatchie, S., R. Goericke, A. Leising, T. Auth, E. P. Bjorkstedt, R. R. Robertson, R. D. Brodeur, X. Du, E. A. Daly, C. A. Morgon, F. P. Chavez, A. J. Debich, J. Hilderbrand, J. Field, K. Sakuma, M. G. Jacox, M. Kahru, R. Kudela, C. Anderson, B. E. Lavaniegos, J. Gomez-Valdes, S. P. A. Jiménez-Rosenberg, R. McCabe, S. R. Melin, M. D. Ohman, L. M. Sala, B. Peterson, J. Fisher, I. D. Schroeder, S. J. Bograd, E. L. Hazen, S. R. Schneider, R. T. Golightly, R. M. Suryan, A. J. Gladics, S. L. Loredo, J. M. Porquez, A. R. THompson, E. D. Weber, W. Watson, V. Trainer, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, and J. Jahncke. 2016. State of the California Current 2015-2016: Comparisons with the 1997-98 El Niño. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 57:1-57.
46. Deguchi, T., F. Sato, M. Eda, H. Izumi, H. Suzuki, R. M. Suryan, E. W. Lance, H. Hasegawa, and K. Ozaki. Earlyview. Translocation and hand-rearing result in short-tailed albatrosses returning to breed in the Ogasawara Islands 80 years after extirpation. Animal Conservation.
45. Suryan, R.M., K.J. Kuletz, S.L. Parker-Stetter, P.H. Ressler, M. Renner, J.K. Horne, E.V. Farley, E.A. Labunski. 2016. Temporal shifts in seabird populations and spatial coherence with prey in the southeastern Bering Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 549:199-215.
44. Leising, A. W., I. D. Schroeder, S. J. Bograd, J. Abell, R. Durazo, G. Gaxiola-Castro, E. P. Bjorkstedt, J. Field, K. Sakuma, R. R. Robertson, R. Goericke, W. T. Peterson, R. D. Brodeur, C. Barceló, T. Auth, E. A. Daly, R. M. Suryan, A. J. Gladics, J. M. Porquez, S. McClatchie, E. D. Weber, W. Watson, J. A. Santora, W. J. Sydeman, S. R. Melin, F. P. Chavez, R. T. Golightly, S. R. Schneider, J. Fisher, C. Morgan, R. Bradley, and P. Warzybok. 2015. State of the California Current 2014-2015: Impacts of the warm-water “Blob”. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 56:31-68.
43. Gladics, A.J., R.M. Suryan, J.K. Parrish, C.A. Horton, E.A. Daly, W.T. Peterson. 2015. Environmental drivers and reproductive consequences of variation in the diet of a marine predator. Journal of Marine Systems, 146: 72-81. doi: 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2014.06.015.
42. Leising, A., I.D. Schroeder, S.J. Bograd, E. Bjorkstedt, J. Field, K. Sakuma, J. Abell, R.R. Robertson, J. Tyburczy, W. Peterson, R.D. Brodeur, C. Barcelo, T.D. Auth, E.A. Daly, G.S. Campbell, J.A. Hildebrand, R.M. Suryan, A.J. Gladics, C.A. Horton, M Kahru, M. Manzano-Sarabia, S. McClatchie, E.D. Weber, W. Watson, J.A. Santora, W.J. Sydeman, S.R. Melin, R.L. DeLong, J. Largier, S.Y. Kim, F.P. Chavez, G.T. Golightly, S.R. Schneider, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, J. Jahncke, J. Fisher, J. Peterson. 2014. State of the California Current 2013-2014: El Niño Looming. California Cooperative Fisheries Investigations Reports 55:51-87.
41. Deguchi, T., R.M. Suryan, and K. Ozaki. 2014. Muscle damage and behavioral consequences from prolonged handling of albatross chicks for transmitter attachment. Journal of Wildlife Management 78:1302-1309.
40. Flowers, J., R. Albertani, T. Harrison, B. Polagye, R. Suryan. 2014. Design and initial component tests of an integrated avian and bat collision detection system for offshore wind turbines. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Marine Energy Technology Symposium, Seattle, WA, April 15-18, 2014.
39. Paredes, R., R.A. Orben, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, D.D. Roby, A.M.A. Harding, R.C. Young, K.L Benoit-Bird, C. Ladd, H. Renner, S. Heppell, R.A. Phillips, A. Kitaysky. 2014. Shifts in foraging areas link to long-term population declines of black-legged kittiwakes in the Bering Sea. PLoS ONE 9(3): e92520. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092520.
38. Gladics, A.J., R.M. Suryan, R.D. Brodeur, L.M. Segui, L.Z. Filliger. 2014. Constancy and change in marine predator diets across a shift in oceanographic conditions in the Northern California Current. Marine Biology 161(4): , doi: 10.1007/s00227-013-2384-4.
37. Deguchi, T., R.M. Suryan, K. Ozaki, J.F. Jacobs, F. Sato, N. Nakamura, G.R. Balogh. 2014. Early successes in translocation and hand-rearing of endangered albatrosses for species conservation and island restoration. Oryx 48: 195-203.
36. State of the California Current 2012 - 2013: No such thing as an 'average' year. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Report 54: 37-71., B., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2013.
35. Hazen, E.L., R.M. Suryan, J.A. Santora, S.J. Bograd, Y. Watanuki , R.P. Wilson. 2013. Scales and mechanisms of marine hotspot formation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 487:177-183.
34. Guy, T.J., Jennings S.L., R.M. Suryan, E.F Melvin., M.A Bellman, L.T Ballance., B.A. Blackie, D.A. Croll, T. Deguchi, T.O. Geernaert, R.W.Henry, M. Hester, K.D. Hyrenbach, J. Jahncke, M.A. Kappes, K. Ozaki, J. Roletto, F. Sato, W.J. Sydeman, J.E. Zamon. 2013. Overlap of North Pacific albatrosses with the U.S. west coast groundfish and shrimp fisheries. Fisheries Research 147:222-234.
33. Harding, A., R. Paredes, R.M. Suryan, D. Roby, D. Irons, R. Orben, H. Renner, R. Young, C. Barger, I. Dorresteijn, A. Kitaysky. 2013. Does location really matter? An inter-colony comparison of thick-billed murres (Uria lomvia) breeding at varying distances from productive oceanographic features in the Bering Sea. Deep-Sea Research II 94:178-191.
32. Benoit-Bird, K.J., Battaile,, B., S.A. Heppell, B. Hoover, D.B. Irons, N. Jones, K. Kuletz, C.A. Nordstrom, R. Paredes, R.M. Suryan, C.M. Waluk, A.J. Trites. 2013. Prey patch patterns predict habitat use by top marine predators with diverse foraging strategies. PLoS ONE 8(1):e53348.
31. Bjorkstedt, E.P., R. Goericke, S. McClatchie, E. Weber, W. Watson, N. Lo, W.T. Peterson, R.D. Brodeur, T. Auth, J. Fisher, C. Morgan, J. Peterson, J. Largier, S.J. Bograd, R. Durazo, G. Gaxiola-Castro, B. Lavaniegos, F.P. Chavez, C.A. Collins, B. Hannah, J. Field, K. Sakuma, W. Satterthwaite, M. O'Farrell, S. Hayes, J. Harding, W.J. Sydeman, S.A. Thompson, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, J. Jahncke, R.T. Golightly, S.R. Schneider, R.M. Suryan, A.J. Gladics, C.A. Horton, S.Y. Kim, S.R. Melin, R.L. DeLong, and J. Abell. 2012. State of the California Current 2011-2012: Ecosystems respond to local forcing as La Niňa wavers and wanes. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 53:41-76.
30. C.A. Horton and R.M. Suryan. 2012. California brown pelicans (Pelecanus occidentalis californicus): A new disturbance source to breeding common murres (Uria aalge) in Oregon? Oregon Birds 38:84-88
29. Paredes R., A.M.A. Harding, D.B. Irons, D.D. Roby, R.M. Suryan, R.A. Orben, H. Renner, R. Young, A. Kitaysky. 2012. Proximity to multiple foraging habitats enhances seabirds’ resilience to local food shortages. Marine Ecology Progress Series 471:253-269
28. Suryan, R.M., J.A. Santora, and W.J. Sydeman. 2012. New approach for using remotely-sensed chlorophyll a to identify seabird “hotspots.” Marine Ecology Progress Series 451:213-225, doi: 10.3354/meps09597.
27. Adams, J., C. Macleod, R.M. Suryan, K.D. Hyrenbach, J.T. Harvey. 2012. Summer-time use of west coast U.S. national marine sanctuaries by migrating sooty shearwaters (Puffinus griseus). Biological Conservation 156: 105-116.
26. Thompson, S.A., W.J. Sydeman, J.A. Santora, B.A. Black, R.M. Suryan, J. Calambokidis, W.T. Peterson, S.J. Bograd. 2012. Linking predators to seasonality of upwelling: Using food web indicators and path analysis to infer trophic connections. Progress in Oceanography 101:106-120.
25. McKnight, A., D.B. Irons, A.J. Allyn, K.M. Sullivan, R.M. Suryan. 2011. Winter dispersal and activity patterns of post-breeding black-legged kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla from Prince William Sound, Alaska. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 442:241-253.
24. Suryan, R.M. and K.N. Fischer. 2010. Stable isotope analysis and satellite tracking reveal inter-specific resource partitioning of non-breeding albatrosses (Phoebastria spp.) off Alaska. Canadian Journal of Zoology 88:299-305.
23. Suryan, R.M., V.S. Saba, B.P. Wallace, S.A. Hatch, M. Frederiksen, and S. Wanless. 2009. Environmental forcing on life history strategies: Evidence for multi-trophic level responses at ocean basin scales. Progress in Oceanography, 81:214-222, doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2009.04.012.
22. Fischer, K.N., R.M. Suryan, D.D. Roby, G.R. Balogh. 2009. Post-breeding season distribution of black-footed and Laysan albatrosses satellite-tagged in Alaska: Inter-specific differences in spatial overlap with North Pacific fisheries. Biological Conservation 142:751-760.
21. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, K.R. Turco, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, J.F. Piatt, M.T. Shultz, D.G. Roseneau, A.B. Kettle. 2008. Growth rates of Black- legged Kittiwake Rissa tridactyla chicks in relation to delivery rate, size and energy density of meals. Marine Ornithology 36:107-114.
20. Suryan, R.M., D.J. Anderson, S.A. Shaffer, D.D. Roby, Y. Tremblay, D.P. Costa, P.R. Sievert, F. Sato, K. Ozaki, G. Balogh, N. Nakamura. 2008. Wind, waves, and wing loading: Morphological specialization may limit range expansion of endangered albatrosses. PLoS ONE, 3(12): e4016. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004016.
19. Ford, R.G., D.G. Ainley, E.D. Brown, R.M. Suryan, and D.B. Irons. 2007. A spatially explicit optimal foraging model of Black-legged Kittiwake behavior based on prey density, travel distances, and colony size. Ecological Modelling 204:335-348.
18. Suryan, R.M., K.S. Dietrich, E.F. Melvin, G.R. Balogh, F. Sato, K. Ozaki. 2007. Migratory routes of short-tailed albatrosses: Use of exclusive economic zones of North Pacific Rim countries and spatial overlap with commercial fisheries in Alaska. Biological Conservation 137:450-460.
17. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, K.R. Turco., R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, J.F. Piatt, M.T. Shultz, D.G. Rosenau, A.B. Kettle, J.A. Anthony. 2006. Assessing the nutritional stress hypothesis: the relative influence of diet quantity and quality on seabird productivity. Marine Ecology Progress Series 325:267-279.
16. Suryan, R.M., F. Sato, G. Balogh, K.D. Hyrenbach, P. Sievert, and K. Ozaki. 2006. Foraging destinations and marine habitat use of short-tailed albatrosses: A multi-scale approach using first-passage time analysis. Deep-Sea Research II 53:370-386.
15. Suryan, R.M., D.B. Irons, E.D. Brown, P.G.R. Jodice, and D.D. Roby. 2006. Site-specific effects on productivity of an upper trophic-level marine predator: Bottom-up, top-down, and mismatch effects on reproduction in a colonial seabird. Progress in Oceanography 68:303-328.
14. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, K.R. Turco, E.D. Brown, J.F. Thedinga, and G.H. Visser. 2006. Increased energy expenditure by a seabird in response to higher food abundance. Marine Ecology Progress Series 306:283-293.
13. Suryan, R.M., D.P. Craig, D.D. Roby, N.D. Chelgren, K. Collis, W.D. Shuford, D.E. Lyons. 2004. Redistribution and growth of the Caspian Tern population in the Pacific Coast region of North America, 1981–2000. Condor 106:777-790.
12. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, G.H. Visser, M. Kaufmann, and K.R. Turco. 2003. Variation in energy expenditure among black-legged kittiwakes: effects of activity-specific metabolic rates and activity budgets. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 76:375-388.
11. Ainley, D.G., R.G. Ford, E.D. Brown, R.M. Suryan, and D.B. Irons. 2003. Geographic structure of colonies and respective foraging areas of black-legged kittiwakes in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Ecology 84:709-723.
10. Benson, J., R.M. Suryan, and J.F. Piatt. 2003. Assessing chick growth from a single visit to a seabird colony. Marine Ornithology 31:181-184.
9. Suryan, R.M., D.B. Irons, M. Kaufman, J. Benson, P.G.R. Jodice, D.D. Roby, and E.D. Brown. 2002. Short-term fluctuations in forage fish availability and the effect on prey selection and brood-rearing in the black-legged kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla). Marine Ecology Progress Series 236:273-287.
8. Roby, D.D, K. Collis, D.E. Lyons, D.P. Craig, J.Y. Adkins, A.M. Myers, and R.M. Suryan. 2002. Effects of colony relocation on diet and productivity of Caspian terns. Journal of Wildlife Management. 66:662-673.
7. Suryan, R.M. and D.B. Irons. 2001. Colony and population dynamics of black-legged kittiwakes in a heterogeneous environment. Auk 118:636-649.
6. Maniscalco, J.M., W.D. Ostrand, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons. 2001. Passive interference competition by glaucous-winged gulls on black-legged kittiwakes: A cost of feeding in flocks. Condor 103:616-619.
5. Suryan, R.M., D.B. Irons, and J. Benson. 2000. Prey switching and variable foraging strategies of black-legged kittiwakes and the effect on reproductive success. Condor. 102:375-385.
4. Suryan, R.M. and J.T. Harvey. 1999. Variation in reaction to disturbance among harbor seals. Fishery Bulletin 97:332-339.
3. Benson, J. and R.M. Suryan. 1999. A leg-noose for capturing adult kittiwakes on the nest site. J. Field Ornithology 70:393-399.
2. Suryan, R.M. and J.T. Harvey. 1998. Tracking harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardsi) to determine dive behavior, foraging activity, and haul-out site use. Marine Mammal Science 14:361-372.
1. Ostrand, W.O., G.S. Drew, R.M. Suryan, and L.L. McDonald. 1998. Evaluation of radio-tracking and strip transect methods for determining foraging ranges of black-legged kittiwakes. Condor 100:709-718.