Eligibility: Applicants are required to be a registered member of HSO. Applicants must also spend at least 40% of their time (2 full days/week) at HMSC OR have significant involvement in HSO/HMSC community detailed in their application letter.
Amount: The amount to be awarded is up to $400 (short distance travel) or $600 (long distance travel), paid as a reimbursement, with appropriate receipts. Long distance travel (compared to short) is defined as travel with plane flights >$600 USD (verification of flight cost required). The number of long distance travel awards available each term is contingent on available funds, and decided at the start of the calendar year by the HSO Treasurer and President(s). Funds can be used to cover transportation, lodging, registration/abstract fees, and per diem expenses.
Criteria: The primary criteria by which applications will be evaluated are service to the HSO/HMSC, travel impact, and financial need.
Application materials: Application letter, detailed budget and justification, and abstract (or description of event, see below). Please submit as one document.
Apply to: Email completed application packages to the HSO President, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be evaluated by an adjudication committee of HSO members representing multiple academic departments.
Closing dates: Fall - November 15, 5 pm PST; Winter - February 15, 5 pm PST; Spring - May 15, 5 pm PST.
Requirements: Funds must be used within 6 months of award (this includes six months before and after award notification date). Award recipients are required to send a photo and a one paragraph synopsis of the research they presented at the conference to the HSO Webmaster immediately following the meeting to showcase the research that HSO Travel Awards support.
This rubric was created to standardize how we determine which applicants are given awards. Applicants are scored on the following criteria:
1. HSO Service (5 points): Past service needs to be indicated on the application, adjudicators personal knowledge of the applicant is not acceptable for scoring. Only service to HSO or the HMSC community will be considered for scoring.
5 = >1 year strong service to HSO though exec position, leading a major committee (i.e. doughnuts, holiday party, endowment, HMSC liaison), or involvement throughout the year.
4 = <1 year strong service to HSO though exec position, leading a major committee, or involvement throughout the year.
3 = Infrequent participation in HSO service, but has been involved in a bigger service opportunities (i.e. holiday party donation, judge travel awards, organizing an event, liaison to faculty).
2 = Attends most or some HSO meetings, participated in a few small service opportunities (i.e. sell t-shirts).
1 = Attends some HSO meetings, no other service.
0 = HSO service not listed. No service to HSO/no meeting attendance.
2. Travel Impact (3 points):
● Applicants travelling to present research: Please submit an abstract.
● Applicants travelling to a workshop, or other event: Please submit 1-2 paragraphs describing student contribution to the funded event, and/or potential for the event to impact the student’s research or professional career.
3 = Participant helped organize conference or a workshop/session of the conference or is an invited speaker.
2 = Participant is giving an oral or poster presentation.
1 = Attending a conference/workshop, but not presenting research.
0 = No materials/abstract submitted.
3. Financial Need (3 points + 1 bonus point): Applicants should submit budget for their travel (i.e. transportation, lodging, conference registration, per diem), and detail other funding sources. 1 additional point awarded if applicants are volunteering, or otherwise reducing their costs (i.e. economy lodging, carpooling, room-sharing). Please describe volunteering or cost reductions efforts in application letter.
3 = No additional funding
2 = <50% funded
1 = >50% funded, travel award will help research grants save money
0 = Budget missing from application materials
4. Application completeness (3 points): Applicants are given a point (3 total) for each of these items included in the application.
a. Student’s name, contact information, degree sought, affiliation with HMSC, if applying for a short or long distance travel award,
b. Brief statement of service to HSO and/or the HMSC community.
c. Conference/meeting info: Conference/travel name, location, start/end dates, if giving full or abbreviated talk or poster presentation. HSO travel awards received at during the previous 2 calendar years.
5. Previous HSO travel awards:
0 if they have not or have received a previous HSO travel award in the last two years.
-1 for each previous travel award received (short or long distance travel awards).