- Conservation & Management
- Reproductive Ecology & Monitoring
- Movement Ecology
- Join Us
- Birds with Fish
110. Beal, M, Catry, P, Phillips, RA, Oppel, S, Arnould, JPY, Bogdanova, MI, Bolton, M, Carneiro, APB, Clatterbuck, C, Conners, M, Daunt, F, Delord, K, Elliott, K, Fromant, A, Granadeiro, JP, Green, JA, Halsey, L, Hamer, KC, Ito, M, Jeavons, R, Kim, J-H, Kokubun, N, Koyama, S, Lane, JV, Lee, WY, Matsumoto, S, Orben, RA, Owen, E, Paiva, VH, Patterson, A, Pollock, CJ, Ramos, JA, Sagar, P, Sato, K, Shaffer, SA, Soanes, L, Takahashi, A, Thompson, DR, Thorne, L, Torres, L, Watanuki, Y, Waugh, SM, Weimerskirch, H, Whelan, S, Yoda, K, Xavier, JC, Dias, MP. 2023. Quantifying annual spatial consistency in chick-rearing seabirds to inform important site identification. Biological Conservation 281, 109994. link
109. Kralj, J, Ponchon, A, Oro, D, Amadesi, B, Arizaga, J, Baccetti, N, Boulinier, T, Cecere, JG, Corcoran, RM, Corman, A-M, Enners, L, Fleishman, A, Garthe, S, Grémillet, D, Harding, A, Igual, JM, Jurinović, L, Kubetzki, U, Lyons, DE, Orben, RA, Paredes, R, Pirrello, S, Recorbet, B, Shaffer, S, Schwemmer, P, Serra, L, Spelt, A, Tavecchia, G, Tengeres, J, Tome, D, Williamson, C, Windsor, S, Young, H, Zenatello, M, Fijn, R. 2023. Active breeding seabirds prospect alternative breeding colonies. Oecologia 201, 341–354. link
108. Quillfeldt, P, Bange, A, Boutet, A, Orben, RA, Baylis, AMM. 2022. Breeding Thin-Billed Prions Use Marine Habitats Ranging from Inshore to Distant Antarctic Waters. Animals 12, 3131.
107. Thompson AR, Bjorkstedt EP, Bograd SJ, Fisher JL, Hazen EL, Leising A, Santora JA, Satterthwaite EV, Sydeman WJ, Alksne M, Auth TD, Baumann-Pickering S, Bowlin NM, Burke BJ, Daly EA, Dewar H, Field JC, Garfield NT, Giddings A, Goericke R, Hildebrand J, Horton CA, Jacobson KC, Jacox MG, Jahncke J, Johns M, Jones J, Kudela RM, Melin SR, Morgan CA, Nickels CF, Orben RA, Porquez JM, Portner EJ, Preti A, Robertson RR, Rudnick DL, Sakuma KM, Schroeder ID, Snodgrass OE, Thompson SA, Trickey JS, Warzybok P, Watson W, Weber ED. 2022. State of the California Current Ecosystem in 2021: Winter is coming? Front Mar Sci 9:958727.
105. Chastel O, Fort J, Ackerman JT, Albert C, Angelier F, Basu N, Blévin P, Brault-Favrou M, Bustnes JO, Bustamante P, Danielsen J, Descamps S, Dietz R, Erikstad KE, Eulaers I, Ezhov A, Fleishman AB, Gabrielsen GW, Gavrilo M, Gilchrist G, Gilg O, Gíslason S, Golubova E, Goutte A, Grémillet D, Hallgrimsson GT, Hansen ES, Hanssen SA, Hatch S, Huffeldt NP, Jakubas D, Jónsson JE, Kitaysky AS, Kolbeinsson Y, Krasnov Y, Letcher RJ, Linnebjerg JF, Mallory M, Merkel FR, Moe B, Montevecchi WJ, Mosbech A, Olsen B, Orben RA, Provencher JF, Ragnarsdottir SB, Reiertsen TK, Rojek N, Romano M, Søndergaard J, Strøm H, Takahashi A, Tartu S, Thórarinsson TL, Thiebot J-B, Will AP, Wilson S, Wojczulanis-Jakubas K, Yannic G (2022) Mercury contamination and potential health risks to Arctic seabirds and shorebirds. Science of The Total Environment 844:156944. link
104. Conners MG, Sisson NB, Agamboue PD, Atkinson PW, Baylis AMM, Benson SR, Block BA, Bograd SJ, Bordino P, Bowen WD, Brickle P, Bruno IM, González Carman V, Champagne CD, Crocker DE, Costa DP, Dawson TM, Deguchi T, Dewar H, Doherty PD, Eguchi T, Formia A, Godley BJ, Graham RT, Gredzens C, Hart KM, Hawkes LA, Henderson S, Henry RW, Hückstädt LA, Irvine LM, Kienle SS, Kuhn CE, Lidgard D, Loredo SA, Mate BR, Metcalfe K, Nzegoue J, Kouerey Oliwina CK, Orben RA, Ozaki K, Parnell R, Pike EP, Robinson PW, Rosenbaum HC, Sato F, Shaffer SA, Shaver DJ, Simmons SE, Smith BJ, Sounguet G-P, Suryan RM, Thompson DR, Tierney M, Tilley D, Young HS, Warwick-Evans V, Weise MJ, Wells RS, Wilkinson BP, Witt MJ, Maxwell SM. 2022. Mismatches in scale between highly mobile marine megafauna and marine protected areas. Front Mar Sci 9:897104.
103. Goetz, KT, F Stephenson, A Hoskins, AD Bindoff, RA Orben, PM Sagar, LG Torres, CE Kroger, LA Sztukowski, RA Phillips, SC Votier, S Bearhop, GA Taylor, DR Thompson. 2022. Data quality influences the predicted distribution and habitat of four southern-hemisphere albatross species. Front. Mar Sci. 9:782923
102. Thompson D., KT Goetz, PM Sagar, LG Torres, CE Kroeger, LA Sztukowski, RA Orben, RA Phillips. The year-round distribution and habitat preferences of Campbell albatross (Thalassarche impavida). Aquatic Conservation. https://doi.org/10.1002/aqc.3685
101. Weber, ED, et al…C Horton, RA Orben, JM Porquez, …. State of the California Current 2019-2020: Back to the Future with Marine Heatwaves? Frontiers in Marine Science. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.709454
100. Baylis, AMM, A DeLecea, M Tierney, RA Orben, N Ratcliffe, E Wakefield, P Catry, L Campioni, M Costa, D Boersma, S Crofts, F Galimberti, J Granadeiro, J Masello, K Pütz, P Quillfeldt, G Rebstock, S Sanvito, I Staniland, P Brickle. Overlap between marine predators and proposed Marine Managed Areas on the Patagonian Shelf. Ecological Applications. https://doi.org/10.1002/eap.2426
99. Drummond, BA, RA Orben, AM Christ, AB Fleishman, HM Renner, NA Rojek, and MD Romano. Comparing non-breeding distribution and behavior of red-legged kittiwakes from two geographically-distant colonies. PlosONE. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254686
98. Clatterbuck, C, Lewison, RA Orben, J Ackerman, LG Torres, RM Suryan, P Warzybok, J Jahncke, SA Shaffer. Foraging in marine habitats increases mercury concentrations in a generalist seabird. Chemosphere, 279, 130470. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2021.130470
97. Orben, RA, J Adams, M Hester, SA Shaffer, RM Suryan, T Deguchi, K Ozaki, F Sato, LC Young, C Clatterbuck, MG Conners, DA Kroodsma, LG Torres. Across borders: External factors and prior behaviour influence North Pacific albatross associations with fishing vessels. J Appl Ecol. 2021; 00: 1-12. https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2664.13849
96. Conners, MG, T Michelot, EI Heywood, RA Orben, R Phillips, A Vyssotski, SA Shaffer, L Thorne. Hidden Markov models reveal major seabird movement modes from high-resolution accelerometer and magnetometer data. 2021Movement Ecology. 9, 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40462-021-00243-z
95. Kroeger, CE, DE Crocker, RA Orben, DR Thompson, LG Torres, PM Sagar, LA Sztukowski, T Andriese, DP Costa and SA Shaffer. 2020. Similar foraging energetics of two sympatric albatrosses despite contrasting life histories and foraging strategies in the wind. doi: 10.1242/jeb.228585
95. Baylis AMM, M Tierney, RA Orben, D González de la Peña, P Brickle. 2020. Non-breeding movements of gentoo penguins at the Falkland Islands. Ibis. In press. https://doi.org/10.1111/ibi.12882
94. Albert, C, HH Helgason, M Brault-Favrou, GJ Robertson, S Descamps, F Amélineau, J Danielsen, R Dietz, K Elliott, KE Erikstad, I Eulaers, A Ezhov, MG Fitzsimmons, M Gavrilo, E Golubova, D Grémillet, S Hatch, NP Huffeldt, D Jakubas, AS Kitaysky, Y Kolbeinsson, Y Krasnov, S-H Lorentsen, E Lorentzen, ML Mallory, B Merkel, FR Merkel, W Montevecchi, A Mosbech, B Olsene, RA Orben, A Patterson, J Provencher, C Plumejeaud, I Pratte, TK Reiertsen, H Renner, N Rojek, M Romano, H Strøm, GH Systad, A Takahashi, J-B Thiebot, TL Thórarinsson, AP Will, K Wojczulanis-Jakubas, P Bustamante, J Fort. 2020. Seasonal variation of mercury contamination in Arctic seabirds: A pan-arctic assessment. Science of The Total Environment. In press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.142201
93. Piatt JF, Parrish JK, Renner HM, Schoen SK, Jones T, Arimitsu ML, Kuletz KJ, Bodenstein B, Garcia-Reyes M, Duerr RS, Corcoran RM, Kaler RSA, McChesney GJ, Golightly RT, Coletti HA, Suryan RM, Burgess HK, Lindsey J, Lindquist K. 2020. Extreme mortality and reproductive failure of common murres resulting from the northeast Pacific marine heatwave of 2014-2016. PLoS ONE 15:e0226087
92. Thompson AR, Schroeder ID, Bograd SJ, Hazen EL, Jacox MG, Leising A, Wells BK, Fisher JL, Jacobson K, Zeman SM, Bjorkstedt EP, Robertson RR, Kahru M, Goericke R, Peabody CE, Baumgartner TR, Lavaniego BE, Miranda LE, Gomez-Ocampo E, Gomex-Valdes J, Ault TR, Daly EA, Morgan CA, Burke BJ, Field JC, Sakuma KM, Weber ED, Watson W, Porquez JM, Dolliver J, Lyons D, Orben RA, Zaman JE, Warzybok P, Jahncke J, Santora JA, Thompson SA, Hoover B, Sydeman W, Merlin SR. 2019. State of the California Current 2018–19: A novel anchovy regime and a new marine heat wave? CalCOFI Rep 60:1–66
91. Fleishman, AB, RA Orben, N Kokubun, A Will, R Paredes, J Ackerman, A Takahashi, AS Kitaysky, SA Shaffer. 2019. Wintering in the Western Subarctic Gyre Increased Exposure of Red-legged Kittiwakes to Mercury Contamination. Environmental Science & Technology 53:13398–13407.
90. Baylis, AMM, RA Orben, AA Arkhipkin, R Brownell, J Barton, IJ Staniland, P Brickle. 2019. Re-evaluating the population size of South American fur seals in the Atlantic. Aquatic Conservation 29:1988–1995.
89. Loredo, SA, RA Orben, RM Suryan, DE Lyons, SW Stephensen, J Adams. 2019. Selective spatial use in diving behavior of non-breeding common murres during two summers of contrasting ocean conditions. J of Experimental Marine Biology 517:13–24.
88. Baylis, AMM, M Tierney, RA Orben, V Warwick-Evans, E Wakefield, J Grecian, P Trathan, R Reisinger, N Ratcliffe, P J Croxall, L Campioni, P Catry, S Crofts, PD Boersma, F Galimberti, J Granadeiro, J Handley, S Hayes, A Hedd, JF Masello, WA Montevecchi, K Putz, P Quillfeldt, GA Rebstock, S Sanvito, IJ Staniland, P Brickle. 2019. Important at-sea areas of colonial breeding marine predators on the Southern Patagonian shelf. Scientific Reports 8517.
87. Orben, RA, AB Fleishman, AL Borker, W Bridgeland, AJ Gladics, J Porquez, P Sanzenbacher, SW Stephensen, R Swift, MW McKown, RM Suryan. 2019. Comparing Automated Photography, Acoustic Recordings, and Radar to Monitor Leach’s Storm-Petrel Colonies. PeerJ 7:e6721–28.
86. Cockerham, S, B Lee, RA Orben, RM Suryan, LG Torres, P Warzybok, R Bradley, J Jahncke, HS Young, C Ouverney, SA Shaffer. 2019. Microbial ecology of the western gull (Larus occidentalis). Molecular Ecology 78:665–676.
85. Orben, RA, N Kokubun, AB Fleishman, A Will, T Yamamoto, SA Shaffer, R Paredes, A Takahashi, AS Kitaysky. 2018 Persistent annual migration patterns of a specialist seabird. Marine Ecology Progress Series 593:231-245.
84. Suryan, R.M., K.J. Kuletz. 2018. Distribution, habitat use, and conservation of albatrosses in Alaska. Iden (in Japanese) 72:156-164 (English version)
83. Hu, C., R. Albertani, R.M. Suryan. 2018. Wind turbine sensor array for monitoring avian and bat collisions. Wind Energy 21:255-263. doi/10.1002/we.2160
82. Orben, R. A., O’Connor, A. J., Suryan, R. M., Ozaki, K., Sato, F., & Deguchi, T. 2018. Ontogenetic changes in at-sea distributions of immature short-tailed albatrosses Phoebastria albatrus. Endangered Species Research, 35, 23–37. http://doi.org/10.3354/esr00864
81. Peck-Richardson, A. G., Lyons, D. E., Roby, D. D., Cushing, D. A., & Lerczak, J. A. 2018. Three-dimensional foraging habitat use and niche partitioning in two sympatric seabird species, Phalacrocorax auritus and P. penicillatus. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 586, 251–264. http://doi.org/10.3354/meps12407
80. Thompson, A. R., I. D. Schroeder, S. J. Bograd, E. L. Hazen, M. G. Jacox, A. Leising, B. K. Wells, N. Mantua, J. A. Santora, J. Fisher, W. T. Peterson, E. P. Bjorkstedt, R. R. Robertson, F. P. Chavez, R. Goericke, R. Kudela, C. Anderson, B. E. Lavaniegos, J. Gomez-Valdes, R. D. Brodeur, E. A. Daly, C. A. Morgon, T. Auth, J. Field, K. Sakuma, S. McClatchie, A. R. Thompson, E. D. Weber, W. Watson, R. M. Suryan, J. K. Parrish, J. Dolliver, S. Loredo, J. M. Porquez, J. E. Zamon, S. R. Schneider, R. T. Golightly, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, J. Jahncke, S. R. Melin, J. A. Hilderbrand, A. J. Debich, and B. Thayre. 2017. State of the California Current 2016-2017: Still anything but "normal" in the north. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 58:1-55.
79. Collar, S., D.D. Roby, and D.E. Lyons. 2017. Top-Down and Bottom-Up Interactions Influence Fledging Success at North America’s Largest Colony of Caspian Terns (Hydroprogne caspia). Estuaries and Coasts 40:1808-1818.
78. Gladics, A. J., Melvin, E. F., Suryan, R. M., Good, T. P., Jannot, J. E., & Guy, T. J. (2017). Fishery-specific solutions to seabird bycatch in the U.S. West Coast sablefish fishery. Fisheries Research, 196, 85–95. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2017.08.015
77. Young, R.C., R.A. Orben, A. Will, A.S. Kitaysky. 2017. Seasonal connectivity in movement, behavior, and telomeres in a long-lived seabird. Marine Ecology Progress Series.
76. Torres, L.G., R.A. Orben, I. Tolkova, D.R. Thompson. 2017. Animal movement analysis through residence in space and time. PLoS ONE 12(1): e0168513.
75. McClatchie, S., R. Goericke, A. Leising, T. Auth, E. P. Bjorkstedt, R. R. Robertson, R. D. Brodeur, X. Du, E. A. Daly, C. A. Morgon, F. P. Chavez, A. J. Debich, J. Hilderbrand, J. Field, K. Sakuma, M. G. Jacox, M. Kahru, R. Kudela, C. Anderson, B. E. Lavaniegos, J. Gomez-Valdes, S. P. A. Jiménez-Rosenberg, R. McCabe, S. R. Melin, M. D. Ohman, L. M. Sala, B. Peterson, J. Fisher, I. D. Schroeder, S. J. Bograd, E. L. Hazen, S. R. Schneider, R. T. Golightly, R. M. Suryan, A. J. Gladics, S. L. Loredo, J. M. Porquez, A. R. THompson, E. D. Weber, W. Watson, V. Trainer, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, and J. Jahncke. 2016. State of the California Current 2015-2016: Comparisons with the 1997-98 El Niño. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 57:1-57.
74. Deguchi, T., F. Sato, M. Eda, H. Izumi, H. Suzuki, R. M. Suryan, E. W. Lance, H. Hasegawa, and K. Ozaki. Earlyview. 2017 Translocation and hand-rearing result in short-tailed albatrosses returning to breed in the Ogasawara Islands 80 years after extirpation. Animal Conservation, 20: 341-349.
73. Suryan, R.M., K.J. Kuletz, S.L. Parker-Stetter, P.H. Ressler, M. Renner, J.K. Horne, E.V. Farley, E.A. Labunski. 2016. Temporal shifts in seabird populations and spatial coherence with prey in the southeastern Bering Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 549:199-215.
72. Humphries, GRW, S.A. Flemming, AJ Gladics, S Hammer, K Hart, K Hirata, MA Antolos, PJ Kappes, E Magnusdottir, Hl Major, F Mcduie, K Mcomber, R.A. Orben, MS Schmid, M Wille. 2016. Bridging the gap from student to senior scientist: Recommendations for engaging early career scientists in professional biological societies. Marine Ornithology 44:157-166.
71. Weitkamp, L.A., T.P. Good, D.E. Lyons, and D.D. Roby. 2016. The influence of environmental variation on the Columbia River estuarine fish community: implications for predation on juvenile salmonids. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 6:33-44.
70. Courtot, K.N., D.D. Roby, L.H. Kerr, D.E. Lyons, and J.Y. Adkins. 2016. A low-disturbance capture technique for ground-nesting Double-crested Cormorants (Phalacrocorax auritus). Waterbirds 39:193-198.
69. Leising, A. W., I. D. Schroeder, S. J. Bograd, J. Abell, R. Durazo, G. Gaxiola-Castro, E. P. Bjorkstedt, J. Field, K. Sakuma, R. R. Robertson, R. Goericke, W. T. Peterson, R. D. Brodeur, C. Barceló, T. Auth, E. A. Daly, R. M. Suryan, A. J. Gladics, J. M. Porquez, S. McClatchie, E. D. Weber, W. Watson, J. A. Santora, W. J. Sydeman, S. R. Melin, F. P. Chavez, R. T. Golightly, S. R. Schneider, J. Fisher, C. Morgan, R. Bradley, and P. Warzybok. 2015. State of the California Current 2014-2015: Impacts of the warm-water “Blob”. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 56:31-68.
68. Gladics, A.J., R.M. Suryan, J.K. Parrish, C.A. Horton, E.A. Daly, W.T. Peterson. 2015. Environmental drivers and reproductive consequences of variation in the diet of a marine predator. Journal of Marine Systems, 146: 72-81. doi: 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2014.06.015.
67. Orben, R.A., R Paredes, D.D Roby, D.B. Irons, S.A. Shaffer. 2015. Body size affects individual winter foraging strategies of thick-billed murres (Uria lomvia) in the Bering Sea. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84(6): 1589-1599.
66. Paredes, R, R.A. Orben, D.D Roby, D.B. Irons, R. Young, H. Renner, Y. Tremblay, A. Will, A.M.A Harding, A. Kitaysky. 2015. Foraging ecology during nesting influences body size in a pursuit-diving seabird. Marine Ecological Progress Series, 533:261-276.
65. Orben, R.A., R Paredes, D.D Roby, D.B. Irons, S.A. Shaffer. 2015. Wintering North Pacific black-legged kittiwakes balance spatial flexibility and consistency. Movement Ecology 3(36).
64. Orben R.A., D.B. Irons, R Paredes, D.D Roby, R.A. Phillips, S.A. Shaffer. 2015. North or south? Niche separation of endemic red-legged kittiwakes and sympatric black-legged kittiwakes during their non-breeding migrations. Journal of Biogeography 42:401–412.
63. Suzuki, Y., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, K.N. Courtot, and K. Collis. 2015. Developing Nondestructive Techniques for Managing Conflicts Between Fisheries and Double-crested Cormorant Colonies. Wildlife Society Bulletin 39:764-771.
62. Hostetter, N.J., A.F. Evans, B.M. Cramer, K. Collis, D.E. Lyons, and D.D. Roby. 2015. Quantifying Avian Predation on Fish Populations: Integrating Predator-specific Deposition Probabilities in Tag-recovery Studies. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 144:410-422.
61. Leising, A., I.D. Schroeder, S.J. Bograd, E. Bjorkstedt, J. Field, K. Sakuma, J. Abell, R.R. Robertson, J. Tyburczy, W. Peterson, R.D. Brodeur, C. Barcelo, T.D. Auth, E.A. Daly, G.S. Campbell, J.A. Hildebrand, R.M. Suryan, A.J. Gladics, C.A. Horton, M Kahru, M. Manzano-Sarabia, S. McClatchie, E.D. Weber, W. Watson, J.A. Santora, W.J. Sydeman, S.R. Melin, R.L. DeLong, J. Largier, S.Y. Kim, F.P. Chavez, G.T. Golightly, S.R. Schneider, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, J. Jahncke, J. Fisher, J. Peterson. 2014. State of the California Current 2013-2014: El Niño Looming. California Cooperative Fisheries Investigations Reports 55:51-87.
60. Deguchi, T., R.M. Suryan, and K. Ozaki. 2014. Muscle damage and behavioral consequences from prolonged handling of albatross chicks for transmitter attachment. Journal of Wildlife Management 78:1302-1309.
59. Flowers, J., R. Albertani, T. Harrison, B. Polagye, R. Suryan. 2014. Design and initial component tests of an integrated avian and bat collision detection system for offshore wind turbines. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Marine Energy Technology Symposium, Seattle, WA, April 15-18, 2014.
58. Paredes, R., R.A. Orben, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, D.D. Roby, A.M.A. Harding, R.C. Young, K.L Benoit-Bird, C. Ladd, H. Renner, S. Heppell, R.A. Phillips, A. Kitaysky. 2014. Shifts in foraging areas link to long-term population declines of black-legged kittiwakes in the Bering Sea. PLoS ONE 9(3): e92520. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092520.
57. Gladics, A.J., R.M. Suryan, R.D. Brodeur, L.M. Segui, L.Z. Filliger. 2014. Constancy and change in marine predator diets across a shift in oceanographic conditions in the Northern California Current. Marine Biology 161(4): doi: 10.1007/s00227-013-2384-4.
56. Deguchi, T., R.M. Suryan, K. Ozaki, J.F. Jacobs, F. Sato, N. Nakamura, G.R. Balogh. 2014. Early successes in translocation and hand-rearing of endangered albatrosses for species conservation and island restoration. Oryx 48: 195-203.
55. Adkins, J.Y., D.E. Lyons, P.J. Loschl, D.D. Roby, K. Collis, A.F. Evans, N.J. Hostetter. 2014. Demographics of piscivorous colonial waterbirds and management implications for ESA-listed salmonids on the Columbia Plateau. Northwest Science 88:344-359.
54. Patterson, A.G.L., A.S. Kitaysky, D.E. Lyons, D.D. Roby. 2014. Nutritional stress affects corticosterone deposition in feathers of Caspian tern chicks. Journal of Avian Biology 45: 1-7.
53. Adkins, J.Y., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, K.N. Courtot, K. Collis, H.R. Carter, W.D. Shuford, P.J. Capitolo. 2014. Recent population size, trends, and limiting factors for the double-crested cormorant in Western North America. Journal of Wildlife Management 78: 1131-1142.
52. Wells, B., I. Schroeder, J. A. Santora, E. L. Hazen, S. J. Bograd, E. Bjorkstedt, V. J. Loeb, S. McClatchie, E. Weber, W. Watson, A. Thompson, B. Peterson, R. Brodeur, J. Harding, J. Field, K. Sakuma, S. Hayes, W. J. Sydeman, M. Losekoot, S. A. Thompson, J. Largier, S. Y. Kim, F. Chavez, C. Barcelo, P. Warzybok, R.l Bradley, J. Jahncke, R. Goericke, G. S. Campbell, J. A. Hildebrand, S. R. Melin, R. L. DeLong, J. Gomez-Valdes, B. Lavaniegos, G. Gaxiola-Castro, R. T. Golightly, S. R. Schneider, N. Lo, R. M. Suryan, A. J. Gladics, C. A. Horton, J. Fisher, C. Morgan, J. Peterson, E. A. Daly, T. Auth, J. Abell. 2013. State of the California Current 2012 - 2013: No such thing as an 'average' year. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Report 54: 37-71.
51. Hazen, E.L., R.M. Suryan, J.A. Santora, S.J. Bograd, Y. Watanuki, R.P. Wilson. 2013. Scales and mechanisms of marine hotspot formation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 487:177-183.
50. Guy, T.J., Jennings S.L., R.M. Suryan, E.F Melvin., M.A Bellman, L.T Ballance., B.A. Blackie, D.A. Croll, T. Deguchi, T.O. Geernaert, R.W.Henry, M. Hester, K.D. Hyrenbach, J. Jahncke, M.A. Kappes, K. Ozaki, J. Roletto, F. Sato, W.J. Sydeman, J.E. Zamon. 2013. Overlap of North Pacific albatrosses with the U.S. west coast groundfish and shrimp fisheries. Fisheries Research 147:222-234.
49. Young, RC, AS Kitaysky, MF Haussmann, S Descamps, R.A. Orben, KH Elliott, AJ Gaston. (2013) Age, sex, and telomere dynamics in a long-lived seabird with male-biased parental care. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74931.
48. Harding, A., R. Paredes, R.M. Suryan, D. Roby, D. Irons, R. Orben, H. Renner, R. Young, C. Barger, I. Dorresteijn, A. Kitaysky. 2013. Does location really matter? An inter-colony comparison of thick-billed murres (Uria lomvia) breeding at varying distances from productive oceanographic features in the Bering Sea. Deep-Sea Research II 94:178-191.
47. Benoit-Bird, K.J., Battaile,, B., S.A. Heppell, B. Hoover, D.B. Irons, N. Jones, K. Kuletz, C.A. Nordstrom, R. Paredes, R.M. Suryan, C.M. Waluk, A.J. Trites. 2013. Prey patch patterns predict habitat use by top marine predators with diverse foraging strategies. PLoS ONE 8(1):e53348.
46. Bjorkstedt, E.P., R. Goericke, S. McClatchie, E. Weber, W. Watson, N. Lo, W.T. Peterson, R.D. Brodeur, T. Auth, J. Fisher, C. Morgan, J. Peterson, J. Largier, S.J. Bograd, R. Durazo, G. Gaxiola-Castro, B. Lavaniegos, F.P. Chavez, C.A. Collins, B. Hannah, J. Field, K. Sakuma, W. Satterthwaite, M. O'Farrell, S. Hayes, J. Harding, W.J. Sydeman, S.A. Thompson, P. Warzybok, R. Bradley, J. Jahncke, R.T. Golightly, S.R. Schneider, R.M. Suryan, A.J. Gladics, C.A. Horton, S.Y. Kim, S.R. Melin, R.L. DeLong, and J. Abell. 2012. State of the California Current 2011-2012: Ecosystems respond to local forcing as La Niňa wavers and wanes. California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 53:41-76.
45. Horton, C.A. and R.M. Suryan. 2012. California brown pelicans (Pelecanus occidentalis californicus): A new disturbance source to breeding common murres (Uria aalge) in Oregon? Oregon Birds 38:84-88.
44. Paredes R., A.M.A. Harding, D.B. Irons, D.D. Roby, R.M. Suryan, R.A. Orben, H. Renner, R. Young, A. Kitaysky. 2012. Proximity to multiple foraging habitats enhances seabirds’ resilience to local food shortages. Marine Ecology Progress Series 471:253-269
43. Suryan, R.M., J.A. Santora, and W.J. Sydeman. 2012. New approach for using remotely-sensed chlorophyll a to identify seabird “hotspots.” Marine Ecology Progress Series 451:213-225, doi: 10.3354/meps09597.
42. Adams, J., C. Macleod, R.M. Suryan, K.D. Hyrenbach, J.T. Harvey. 2012. Summer-time use of west coast US National Marine Sanctuaries by migrating sooty shearwaters (Puffinus griseus). Biological Conservation 156: 105-116.
41. Thompson, S.A., W.J. Sydeman, J.A. Santora, B.A. Black, R.M. Suryan, J. Calambokidis, W.T. Peterson, S.J. Bograd. 2012. Linking predators to seasonality of upwelling: Using food web indicators and path analysis to infer trophic connections. Progress in Oceanography 101:106-120.
40. Adrean, L.J., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, K. Collis, A.F. Evans. 2012. Potential effects of management on Caspian tern (Hydroprogne caspia) predation on juvenile salmonids at a colony in San Francisco Bay, California. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141: 1682-1696.
39. Courtot, K.N., D.D. Roby, J.Y. Adkins, D.E. Lyons, D.T. King, R.S. Larsen. 2012. Colony connectivity of Pacific Coast double-crested cormorants based on post-breeding dispersal from the region's largest colony. Journal of Wildlife Management 76: 1462-1471.
38. Evans, A.F., N.J. Hostetter, D.D. Roby, K. Collis, D.E. Lyons, B.P. Sandford, R.D. Ledgerwood, S. Sebring. 2012. Systemwide evaluation of avian predation on juvenile salmonids from the Columbia River based on recoveries of passive integrated transponder tags. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141: 975-989.
37. Collis, K., D.D. Roby, K.W. Larson, L.J. Adrean, S.K. Nelson, A.F. Evans, N. Hostetter, D. Battaglia, D.E. Lyons, T. Marcella, A. Patterson. 2012. Trends in Caspian tern nesting and diet in San Francisco Bay: conservation implications for terns and salmonids. Waterbirds 35: 25-34.
36. McKnight, A., D.B. Irons, A.J. Allyn, K.M. Sullivan, R.M. Suryan. 2011. Winter dispersal and activity patterns of post-breeding black-legged kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla from Prince William Sound, Alaska. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 442:241-253.
35. Lyons, D.E., D.D. Roby. 2011. Validating growth and development of a seabird as an indicator of food availability: captive-reared Caspian Tern chicks fed ad libitum and restricted diets. Journal of Field Ornithology 82: 88-100.
34. Evans, A.F., D.D. Roby, K. Collis, B.M. Cramer, J.A. Sheggeby, L.J. Adrean, D.S. Battaglia, D.E. Lyons. 2011. Recovery of coded wire tags on a Caspian tern colony in San Francisco Bay: A technique to evaluate impacts of avian predation on juvenile salmonids. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 31:79-87.
33. Suryan, R.M. and K.N. Fischer. 2010. Stable isotope analysis and satellite tracking reveal inter-specific resource partitioning of non-breeding albatrosses (Phoebastria spp.) off Alaska. Canadian Journal of Zoology 88:299-305.
32. Suryan, R.M., V.S. Saba, B.P. Wallace, S.A. Hatch, M. Frederiksen, and S. Wanless. 2009. Environmental forcing on life history strategies: Evidence for multi-trophic level responses at ocean basin scales. Progress in Oceanography, 81:214-222, doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2009.04.012.
31. Fischer, K.N., R.M. Suryan, D.D. Roby, G.R. Balogh. 2009. Post-breeding season distribution of black-footed and Laysan albatrosses satellite-tagged in Alaska: Inter-specific differences in spatial overlap with North Pacific fisheries. Biological Conservation 142:751-760.
30. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, K.R. Turco, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, J.F. Piatt, M.T. Shultz, D.G. Roseneau, A.B. Kettle. 2008. Growth rates of Black- legged Kittiwake Rissa tridactyla chicks in relation to delivery rate, size and energy density of meals. Marine Ornithology 36:107-114.
29. Suryan, R.M., D.J. Anderson, S.A. Shaffer, D.D. Roby, Y. Tremblay, D.P. Costa, P.R. Sievert, F. Sato, K. Ozaki, G. Balogh, N. Nakamura. 2008. Wind, waves, and wing loading: Morphological specialization may limit range expansion of endangered albatrosses. PLoS ONE, 3(12): e4016. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004016.
28. Ford, R.G., D.G. Ainley, E.D. Brown, R.M. Suryan, and D.B. Irons. 2007. A spatially explicit optimal foraging model of Black-legged Kittiwake behavior based on prey density, travel distances, and colony size. Ecological Modelling 204:335-348.
27. Suryan, R.M., K.S. Dietrich, E.F. Melvin, G.R. Balogh, F. Sato, K. Ozaki. 2007. Migratory routes of short-tailed albatrosses: Use of exclusive economic zones of North Pacific Rim countries and spatial overlap with commercial fisheries in Alaska. Biological Conservation 137:450-460.
26. Lyons, D.E., D.D. Roby, K. Collis. 2007. Foraging patterns of Caspian Terns and Double-crested Cormorants in the Columbia River Estuary. Northwest Science 81:91-103.
25. Anderson, S.K., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, K. Collis. 2007. Relationship of Caspian tern foraging ecology to nesting success in the Columbia River estuary, Oregon, USA. Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf Science 73:447-456.
24. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, K.R. Turco., R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, J.F. Piatt, M.T. Shultz, D.G. Rosenau, A.B. Kettle, J.A. Anthony. 2006. Assessing the nutritional stress hypothesis: the relative influence of diet quantity and quality on seabird productivity. Marine Ecology Progress Series 325:267-279.
23. Suryan, R.M., F. Sato, G. Balogh, K.D. Hyrenbach, P. Sievert, and K. Ozaki. 2006. Foraging destinations and marine habitat use of short-tailed albatrosses: A multi-scale approach using first-passage time analysis. Deep-Sea Research II 53:370-386.
22. Suryan, R.M., D.B. Irons, E.D. Brown, P.G.R. Jodice, and D.D. Roby. 2006. Site-specific effects on productivity of an upper trophic-level marine predator: Bottom-up, top-down, and mismatch effects on reproduction in a colonial seabird. Progress in Oceanography 68:303-328.
21. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, K.R. Turco, E.D. Brown, J.F. Thedinga, and G.H. Visser. 2006. Increased energy expenditure by a seabird in response to higher food abundance. Marine Ecology Progress Series 306:283-293.
20. Antolos, M., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, S.K. Anderson, K. Collis. 2006. Effects of nest density, location and timing on breeding success of Caspian terns. Waterbirds 29:465-472.
19. Antolos, M., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, K. Collis, A.F. Evans, M. Hawbecker, B.A. Ryan. 2005. Caspian tern predation on juvenile salmonids in the Mid-Columbia River. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134: 466-480.
18. Anderson, S.K., D.D. Roby, D.E. Lyons, K. Collis. 2005. Factors affecting chick provisioning by Caspian Terns nesting in the Columbia River Estuary. Waterbirds 28:95-105.
17. Suryan, R.M., D.P. Craig, D.D. Roby, N.D. Chelgren, K. Collis, W.D. Shuford, D.E. Lyons. 2004. Redistribution and growth of the Caspian Tern population in the Pacific Coast region of North America, 1981–2000. Condor 106:777-790.
16. Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons, G.H. Visser, M. Kaufmann, and K.R. Turco. 2003. Variation in energy expenditure among black-legged kittiwakes: effects of activity-specific metabolic rates and activity budgets. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 76:375-388.
15. Ainley, D.G., R.G. Ford, E.D. Brown, R.M. Suryan, and D.B. Irons. 2003. Prey resources, competitions, and geographic structure of kittiwake colonies in Prince William Sound. Ecology 84:709-723.
14. Benson, J., R.M. Suryan, and J.F. Piatt. 2003. Assessing chick growth from a single visit to a seabird colony. Marine Ornithology 31:181-184.
13. Roby, D.D., D. E. Lyons, D.P. Craig, K. Collis, G.H. Visser. 2003. Quantifying the effect of predators on endangered species using a bioenergetics approach: Caspian terns and juvenile salmonids in the Columbia River estuary. Canadian Journal of Zoology 81: 250-265.
12. Roby, D.D., K. Collis, D.E. Lyons, D.P. Craig, J.Y. Adkins, A.M. Myers, R.M. Suryan. 2002. Effects of colony relocation on diet and productivity of Caspian terns. Journal of Wildlife Management 66:662-673.
11. Collis, K., D.D. Roby, C.W. Thompson, D.E. Lyons, M. Tirhi. 2002. Barges as temporary nesting colonies for Caspian terns: Assessing suitability of potential colony restoration sites. Wildlife Society Bulletin 30:1140-1149.
10. Collis, K., D.D. Roby, D.P. Craig, S. Adamany, J.Y. Adkins, D.E. Lyons. 2002. Population size and diet composition of fish-eating colonial waterbirds on the lower Columbia River: Implications for losses of juvenile salmonids to avian predation. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:537-550.
9. Suryan, R.M., D.B. Irons, M. Kaufman, J. Benson, P.G.R. Jodice, D.D. Roby, and E.D. Brown. 2002. Short-term fluctuations in forage fish availability and the effect on prey selection and brood-rearing in the black-legged kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla). Marine Ecology Progress Series 236:273-287.
8. Roby, D.D, K. Collis, D.E. Lyons, D.P. Craig, J.Y. Adkins, A.M. Myers, and R.M. Suryan. 2002. Effects of colony relocation on diet and productivity of Caspian terns. Journal of Wildlife Management. 66:662-673.
7. Suryan, R.M. and D.B. Irons. 2001. Colony and population dynamics of black-legged kittiwakes in a heterogeneous environment. Auk 118:636-649.
6. Maniscalco, J.M., W.D. Ostrand, R.M. Suryan, D.B. Irons. 2001. Passive interference competition by glaucous-winged gulls on black-legged kittiwakes: A cost of feeding in flocks. Condor 103:616-619.
5. Suryan, R.M., D.B. Irons, and J. Benson. 2000. Prey switching and variable foraging strategies of black-legged kittiwakes and the effect on reproductive success. Condor. 102:375-385.
4. Suryan, R.M. and J.T. Harvey. 1999. Variation in reaction to disturbance among harbor seals. Fishery Bulletin 97:332-339.
3. Benson, J. and R.M. Suryan. 1999. A leg-noose for capturing adult kittiwakes on the nest site. J. Field Ornithology 70:393-399.
2. Suryan, R.M. and J.T. Harvey. 1998. Tracking harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardsi) to determine dive behavior, foraging activity, and haul-out site use. Marine Mammal Science 14:361-372.
1. Ostrand, W.O., G.S. Drew, R.M. Suryan, and L.L. McDonald. 1998. Evaluation of radio-tracking and strip transect methods for determining foraging ranges of black-legged kittiwakes. Condor 100:709-718.
Henkel, S.K., R.M. Suryan, B.A. Largerquist. 2014. Marine renewable energy and environmental interactions: baseline assessments of seabirds, marine mammals, sea turtles, and benthic communities on the Oregon shelf. In Marine Renewable Energy and Society. Ed. by M. A. Shields. Springer, Dordrecht.
Jodice, P.G.R. and R.M. Suryan. 2010. The transboundary nature of seabird ecology. In S.C. Trombulak and R.F. Baldwin (eds.), Landscape-scale Conservation Planning, DOI 10.1007/978-90-481-9575-6_8, Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
Roby, D.D., K. Collis, D.E. Lyons, D.P. Craig, M. Antolos. 2003. Caspian tern. In Birds of Oregon: A general reference. D.B. Marshall, M.G. Hunter, A.L. Contreras editors. Oregon State University Press, Corvallis, OR.
Suryan, R.M., R. Albertani, B. Polagye. 2016. A synchronized sensor array for remote monitoring of avian and bat interactions with offshore renewable energy facilities. Final report to the Department of Energy for project DOE_EE0005363
Lyons, D.E. 2016. Estimated Consumption of Juvenile Salmonids by Double-crested Cormorants along the Oregon Coast. Report submitted to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Tillamook, OR. 16pp.
Peterson, R.C., D.E. Lyons, D.D. Roby, and Y. Suzuki. 2016. 2015 Pacific Flyway Caspian Tern Population Monitoring. Report submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, OR. 26pp.
Watanuki, Y., R. Suryan, H. Sasaki, T. Yamamoto, E. Hazen, M. Renner, J.A. Santora, W.J. Sydeman, 2015. Spatial ecology of marine top predators in the North Pacific: Tools for integrating across datasets and identifying high use areas. Report of the Marine Birds and Mammals Advisory Panel to the North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES).
Lyons, D.E., A.F. Evans, N.J. Hostetter, A. Piggot, L. Weitkamp, T.P. Good, D.D. Roby, K. Collis, P.J. Loschl, B. Cramer. 2014. Factors influencing predation on juvenile salmonids by double-crested cormorants in the Columbia River estuary: A retrospective analysis. Report submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland, OR. 30 pp.
Lyons, D.E., D.D. Roby, A.F. Evans, N.J. Hostetter, K. Collis, S.H. Sebring. 2012. Benefits to Columbia River anadromous salmonids from potential reductions in predation by double-crested cormorants nesting at the East Sand Island colony. Report submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland, OR. 50 pp.
Lyons, D.E., D.D. Roby, A.F. Evans, N.J. Hostetter, K. Collis. 2011. Benefits to Columbia River anadromous salmonids from potential reductions in avian predation on the Columbia Plateau. Report submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Walla Walla, WA. 78 pp.
Suryan, R.M., K.J. So, E.M. Phillips, J.E. Zamon, R.W. Lowe, S.W. Stephensen. 2012. Seabird colony and at-sea distribution along the Oregon coast: Implications for offshore energy facility placement and information gap analysis. Report to the Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center, Oregon State University.
Young, L.C., R.M. Suryan, D.C. Duffy, W.J. Sydeman. 2012. Climate change and seabirds of the California Current and Pacific Islands ecosystems: Observed and potential impacts and management implications. Final report to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon.
Roby, D.D., K. Collis, D.E. Lyons. 2003. Conservation and management for fish-eating birds and endangered salmon. Proceedings of the Third International Partners in Flight Conference, Asilomar, CA. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report PSW-GTR-191.
Jodice, P.G.R., D.D. Roby, M.Antolos, D.E. Lyons, D.J. Rizzolo, S.K. Wright, C.D. Anderson, S.K. Anderson, S.K. Nelson, A. Gall. 2003. Book review of Biology of Marine Birds, E.A. Schreiber and J. Burger Editors. Auk 120:240-245.