

HMSC Sustainability Committee

Meeting Minutes: May 4, 2010

Members Present: Maryann Bozza, Todd Cross, Judy Mullen, Jay Peterson, Candace Rogers, Tom Wainwright, Randy Walker, Lynne Wright

Next Meeting (June): Agenda/Tom and Minutes/Maryann

Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 1st, 10:30am-noon, Barry Fisher Room, Guin Library

For Next Agenda: Potential goals for the committee using the EMS and any other ideas the group has, with the intention of focusing on a few specific commitments

Next Brownbag: Tuesday, May 11th, Noon in Library Seminar Room

Speaker: Bob Emmanuel (Oregon Sea Grant Extension) talk on "Rain Gardens"
(13 attended)

MINUTES

1. REVIEW ACTION ITEMS

Rick: Ask for volunteers in the three NOAA buildings to seek answers to the following questions: Who uses batteries? Can the number used be reduced? Can rechargeables be used? Does recharging them work well? **Pending**

Rick: Ask Thea Smith (NOAA/NWFSC- Montlake) if rechargeables are used at other NOAA sites and how they work **Pending**

Todd: Ask Brandon Trelstad where OSU batteries get recycled, if there are charges, and if alkaline and rechargeables are disposed of differently? Ask if anyone on campus is recharging and if it works well or not. \ Brandon says to ask Pete Schoonover at OSU environmental Health & Safety-Hazardous Waste Disposal (phone: 1-541-737-4552) email: Peter.Schoonover@oregonstate.edu Pete is the person who picks up the batteries collected in HMSC's mailroom.

Lynne: Call Thompson's Sanitary Service in Newport to ask where they recycle. Thompson's sends batteries to Garten Services, Inc. in Salem who treat them and forward them to Battery Solutions, Inc. in Mesa, Arizona. <http://www.garten.org/services/admin/info/3/> or <http://www.garten.org/services/admin/oregon/C19/> and <http://www.batteryrecycling.com/Battery+Recycling+Process>

Maryann will create a "timetable for series of email reminders" to be sent to potential survey takers. – Contact HMSC Management Group first with letter asking them to rally support for taking survey in their own departments/agencies; then we'll follow with two or three email reminders to specific community groups.

Maryann will ask Dr. Boehlert to sign a letter of survey support aimed at department heads. **Pending** as committee will give feedback

Maryann will forward the revised version of the survey to committee for final review. **Pending** as Brandon Trelstad is still reviewing it.

Maryann will send a short bulleted email to management committee about committee activities –done for April

Judy: Make flyer for wind brown bag-done (23 attendees at April 30th brownbag on wind)

Tom or Maryann: Tom or Maryann will attend Newport's Sustainability Task Force as our delegate: Tom contacted Lon Brusselback and offered to attend the Newport meetings when they are convened. Tom will email Lon again.

All committee members will email Candace with suggestions for the webpage-Candace located Ken's draft of webpage and will revise it, adding recycling links. We need photos for the webpage. Judy will

send Candace flyer copies and list of brownbag speakers.

All committee members will identify one worthy, potential long-term goal to which the group might want to commit energy. **Pending**

2. DIVIDING UP COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES

Agendas and Minutes will be shared by group members on a rotating schedule. For the June meeting, Tom will do agenda and Maryann will do minutes. We'll decide at each meeting who will do minutes and agenda for the following meeting.

Our agendas seem to have some regularly occurring topics: Review of Action Items; Brownbags; Ongoing Projects, Information Sharing; New action items. Committee members should send additional agenda items to agenda-maker sometime during the month.

Several committee members will be absent, busy, going to sea, vacationing, doing field work during the summer--but our committee will try to keep going over the summer with a skeleton crew so as not to lose continuity in our efforts.

Brownbags:

We may want to divide brownbag tasks, but haven't yet. Jay is working on the current brownbag. Currently, the following steps are the responsibility of the host, who can delegate as needed. If you need help, just ask.

Steps included in brownbag event: Brainstorm potential speakers; contact speaker to confirm and get date; check meeting room calendar at <http://scheduler.hmsc.oregonstate.edu:8001/Calendar/> and reserve the room with Candace; fill out IT form for equipment usage in Seminar room; get blurb, title and photos or pictures from speaker for flyer; make flyer with powerpoint template; get colored copies of flyer printed; distribute flyers to each building and agency or ask Maryann to do it; contact Maryann a week in advance if you want to send blurb to News Times; reconfirm with speaker if necessary; send out email announcement about one week before brownbag; send reminder email the day before or on day of event; help speaker set up needed equipment on day of brownbag, perform role of "host" at brownbag by introducing the speaker, thank the speaker afterwards, send thank you note following event.

Website: Candace will need backup for the website once it is established.

3 BRIEF UPDATE ON TRANSPORTATION SURVEY (Maryann)

Brandon Trelstad still has the survey; he'll edit and prepare it for SurveyMonkey distribution. We'll go forward with the survey soon. Maryann will write a draft letter explaining the purpose of the survey and the need for participation from all HMSC departments and agencies. She'll ask Dr. Boehlert to sign the letter and to encourage everyone to take the survey.

We discussed the difficulty of emailing the survey to everyone at HMSC when there is no complete email list which includes everyone. The community list will be inadequate. Therefore we'll need to work with department heads, asking them to forward surveys to their entire groups. We'll follow that with reminder emails to specific communities.

There is much interest in this survey, not only from the Port of Newport, but also from a city/county transit management group who contacted Maryann about it. Bob Emmet, representing the group, asked if we could add a question or two about van pools, which we will certainly do. The results of this survey will be made public.

4. IDEAS/ PLANS FOR BROWNBAGS

Next Brownbag: May 11: Bob Emmanuel (Oregon Sea Grant Extension) talks about “Rain Gardens” (had 13 attendees on May 11)

The group brainstormed potential brownbag topics.

ACTION: Maryann will call Central PUD to ask if someone can speak in June about the new wind power option offered to customers.

Yaquina Birders <http://yaquina.info/ybn/> ;

Gardening with Mike and Sally Noack

sustainable landscaping, LEED certification

Central PUD’s new wind power option for customers

<http://www.clpud.org/Coastlines/clfiles/coastlinespdf/cl0410apr.pdf>

Gathering Together Farm on organic farming and genetically altered seeds

<http://www.gatheringtogetherfarm.com/about.html>

Ten Rivers Food Web (sustainable local food system).

<http://www.tenriversfoodweb.org/home/TRFWannualreport2007.pdf>

5. DISCUSS POTENTIAL GOALS FOR COMMITTEE (using the EMS and any other ideas with the intention of focusing on a few specific commitments)

This was tabled for next meeting agenda.

6. INFORMATION SHARING:

Lynne: Got Wind? Central PUD is now offering wind power units to customers

<http://www.clpud.org/Coastlines/clfiles/coastlinespdf/cl0410apr.pdf>

Judy: “Waste Not of Yamhill County” is a group promoting *alternatives* to expanding Riverbend

Landfill (which is located near McMinnville) <http://www.wastenotofyamhillcounty.org/> Read:

Garbage Land, by Elizabeth Royte

Candace: Found Ken Hall’s draft of a Sustainability webpage for HMSC and will revise it. Add link for “free cycle” of surplus stuff

Maryann: Maybe we need an HMSC Bulletin Board about sustainability

NEED: Someone to take photos at the brownbags and any other committee events/activities

7. NEW ACTION ITEMS:

Todd: Contact someone (Pete Schoonover ?) for more about battery disposal.

Peter.Schoonover@oregonstate.edu

Rick: Ask for volunteers in the three NOAA buildings to seek answers to the following questions: Who uses batteries? Can the number used be reduced? Can rechargeables be used? Does recharging them work well?

Rick: Ask Thea Smith (NOAA/NWFSC- Montlake) if rechargeables are used at other NOAA sites and how they work

Maryann: write letter about survey for Dr. Boehlert and get group feedback

Maryann: get survey from Brandon and add questions about van pool and send to committee for final view

Maryann: call Central PUD about getting June speaker on new wind power option for customers

Tom: email Lon Brusselback

Tom: make June agenda

Judy: send Candace list of former brownbags for webpage

Candace: Add surplus “free cycle” link to webpage

All Committee members: Send photos to Candace for webpage

All committee members will identify one worthy, potential long-term goal to which the group might want to commit energy