- Reproductive Ecology
- Predator-Prey Dynamics
- Foraging Ecology & Oceanography
Title: Assistant Professor - Senior Research
Oregon State University
Hatfield Marine Science Center
2030 SE Marine Science Dr.
Newport, Oregon 97365
Ph.D. – Ocean Sciences, University of California Santa Cruz, 2014
B.S. – Biological Sciences, Cornell University, 2002
Marine predator foraging ecology, species–habitat relationships, food web dynamics, marine spatial planning
27. Fleishman, AB, RA Orben, N Kokubun, A Will, R Paredes, J Ackerman, A Takahashi, AS Kitaysky, SA Shaffer. Wintering in the Western Subarctic Gyre Increased Exposure of Red-legged Kittiwakes to Mercury Contamination. Environmental Science & Technology. In Press.
26. Baylis, AMM, RA Orben, AA Arkhipkin, R Brownell, J Barton, IJ Staniland, P Brickle. 2019. Re-evaluating the population size of South American fur seals in the Atlantic. Aquatic Conservation.
25. Loredo, SA, RA Orben, RM Suryan, DE Lyons, SW Stephensen, J Adams. 2019. Selective spatial use in diving behavior of non-breeding common murres during two summers of contrasting ocean conditions. J of Experimental Marine Biology.
24. Baylis, AMM, M Tierney, RA Orben, V Warwick-Evans, E Wakefield, J Grecian, P Trathan, R Reisinger, N Ratcliffe, P J Croxall, L Campioni, P Catry, S Crofts, PD Boersma, F Galimberti, J Granadeiro, J Handley, S Hayes, A Hedd, JF Masello, WA Montevecchi, K Putz, P Quillfeldt, GA Rebstock, S Sanvito, IJ Staniland, P Brickle. 2019. Important at-sea areas of colonial breeding marine predators on the Southern Patagonian shelf. Scientific Reports.
23. Orben, RA, AB Fleishman, AL Borker, W Bridgeland, AJ Gladics, J Porquez, P Sanzenbacher, SW Stephensen, R Swift, MW McKown, RM Suryan. 2019. Comparing automated photography, acoustic recordings, and radar to monitor Leach’s storm-petrel colonies. PeerJ.
22. Cockerham, S, B Lee, RA Orben, RM Suryan, LG Torres, P Warzybok, R Bradley, J Jahncke, HS Young, C Ouverney, SA Shaffer. 2019. Microbial ecology of the western gull (Larus occidentalis). Molecular Ecology.
21. Baylis, AMM, M Tierney, RA Orben, IJ Staniland, P Brickle. 2018. Geographic variation in the foraging behaviour of South American fur seals. MEPS 596, 233–245.
20. Orben, RA, N Kokubun, AB Fleishman, A Will, T Yamamoto, SA Shaffer, R Paredes, A Takahashi, AS Kitaysky. 2018b. Persistent annual migration patterns of a specialist seabird. MEPS 593:231-245.
19. Orben, RA, AJ O’Connor, RM Suryan, K Ozaki, F Sato, T Deguchi. 2018a. Ontogenetic changes in at-sea distribution of immature short-tailed albatrosses, Phoebastria albatrus. Endangered Species Res 35:23-37.
18. Baylis, AMM, RA Orben, DP Costa, M Tierney, P Brickle, I Staniland. 2017. Habitat use and spatial fidelity of male South American sea lions during the non-breeding period. Ecology and Evolution 7:3992–4002.
17. Young, RC, R.A. Orben, A Will, A.S. Kitaysky. (2017) Seasonal connectivity in movement, behavior, and telomeres in a long-lived seabird. Marine Ecology Progress Series, doi.org/10.3354/meps12022.
16. Torres, LG, RA Orben, I Tolkova, DR Thompson. (2017) Animal movement analysis through residence in space and time. PLoS ONE 12(1): e0168513.
15. Baylis AMM, GJ Kowalski, CC Voigt, RA Orben, F Trillmich, IJ Staniland, JI Hoffman. (2016) Pup Vibrissae Stable Isotopes Reveal Geographic Differences in Adult Female Southern Sea Lion Habitat Use during Gestation. PLoS ONE, 11(6): e0157394.
14. Hückstädt, LA, MS Tift, F Riet-Sapriza, V Franco-Trecu, AMM Baylis, RA Orben, JPY Arnould, M Sepulveda, M Santos, JM Burns, DP Costa. (2016) Regional variability in diving physiology and behavior in a widely distributed air -breathing marine predator, the South American sea lion Otaria byronia. Journal of Experimental Biology.
13. Baylis, AMM, RA Orben, DP Costa, JPY Arnould, IJ Staniland. (2016) Sexual segregation in habitat use is smaller than expected in a highly dimorphic marine predator, the southern sea lion. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 554:201-211.
12. Humphries, GRW, SA Flemming, AJ Gladics, S Hammer, K Hart, K Hirata, MA Antolos, PJ Kappes, E Magnusdottir, Hl Major, F Mcduie, K Mcomber, RA Orben, MS Schmid, M Wille. (2016) Bridging the gap from student to senior scientist: Recommendations for engaging early career scientists in professional biological societies. Marine Ornithology 44:157-166.
11. Baylis AMM, RA Orben RA, JPY Arnould, K Peters, T Knox, DP Costa, IJ Staniland. (2015) Diving deeper into individual foraging specialization of a large marine predator. Oecologia. 179(4): 1053-1065
10. Orben, RA, R Paredes,DD Roby, DB Irons, SA Shaffer. (2015) Body size affects individual winter foraging strategies of thick-billed murres (Uria lomvia) in the Bering Sea. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84(6): 1589-1599.
9. Paredes, R, RA Orben, DD Roby, DB Irons, R Young, H Renner, Y Tremblay, A Will, AMA Harding, A Kitaysky. (2015) Foraging ecology during nesting influences body size in a pursuit-diving seabird. Marine Ecological Progress Series, 533:261-276.
8. Orben, RA, R Paredes, DD Roby, DB Irons, SA Shaffer. (2015) Wintering North Pacific black-legged kittiwakes balance spatial flexibility and consistency. Movement Ecology, 3(36).
7. Baylis AMM, RA Orben, JPY Arnould, GC Hays, IJ Staniland. (2015) Disentangling the cause of a catastrophic population decline in a large marine mammal. Ecology, 96(10):2834-2847.
6. Orben RA, DB Irons, R Paredes, DD Roby, RA Phillips, SA Shaffer (2015) North or south? Niche separation of endemic red-legged kittiwakes and sympatric black-legged kittiwakes during their non-breeding migrations. Journal of Biogeography 42:401–412.
5. Baylis AMM, RA Orben, P Pistorius, P Brickle, IJ Staniland, N Ratcliffe (2015) Winter foraging site fidelity of king penguins breeding at the Falkland Islands. Marine Biology 162:99–110.
4. Paredes, R, RA Orben, RM Suryan, DB Irons, DD Roby, AMA Harding, RC Young, K Benoit-Bird, C Ladd, H Renner, S Heppell, RA Phillips, A Kitaysky. (2014) Foraging responses of black-legged kittiwakes to prolonged food shortages around colonies on the Bering Sea Shelf. PLoS ONE 9(3): e92520.
3. Young, RC, AS Kitaysky, MF Haussmann, S Descamps, RA Orben, KH Elliott, AJ Gaston. (2013) Age, sex, and telomere dynamics in a long-lived seabird with male-biased parental care. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74931.
2. Harding AMA, R Parades, R Suryan, D Roby, D Irons, RA Orben, H Renner, R Young, C Barger, I Dorresteijn, & A Kitaysky. (2013) Does location really matter? An inter-colony comparison of seabirds breeding at varying distances from productive oceanographic features in the Bering Sea. Deep-Sea Research Part II, 178-191.
1. Paredes, R, AMA Harding, DD Roby, DB Irons, RM Suryan, RA Orben, H Renner, A Kitaysky. (2012) Proximity to multiple oceanographic habitats influences breeding seabirds’ resilience to poor local food availability. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 471:253-269.